Kojic Acid is a potent skin lightener, that has been used for decades by individuals all across Asia and South East Asia. It lightens the skin by inadvertently inhibiting tyrosinase activity - the enzyme responsible for producing melanin. In addition to its skin lightening benefits, it also has anti-microbial properties. It is the preferred natural, and highly effective alternative to hydroquinone.
Kojic's acid primary use — and benefit — is to lighten visible sun damage, age spots, or scars. This can result in an anti-aging effect on the skin. In addition to skin-lightening effects, kojic acid also contains some antimicrobial properties.
Kojic Acid Powder is compatible with SepiWhite, GigaWhite, Alpha Arbutin, and Kojic Acid Dipalmitate. Although Kojic Acid isn't a BHA or an AHA, you may wish to avoid mixing it directly with Vitamin C to avoid possible irritation. (Vitamin C & AHA's should not be mixed together).
Note: Avoid mixing too many powders into one lotion, aim for no more than 3 active skin lightening ingredients in one formulation.
To add Kojic Acid powder to your lotion it involves a simple 4 step process.
Ensure all your ingredients ready.
1) Our lotion base - 1 kg
2) Kojic acid powder ( a little at a time) -10 grams
3)Ethanol / distilled water - 20 ml
You will also require two pots (a smaller and a larger one) to mix and dissolve the powder with the distilled water.
2) Mix 10 grams powder in with 20 grams of
Use the double boiling method. Place the mixture (whilst still in it's original pot) onto another pot with water under heat (like a stove). Wait until the powder has fully dissolved (it will only take a few minutes - it should not be grainy or powdery).
3) Add the fully dissolved powder into your base lotion until it's fully mixed together.
Voila, you have just turned an ordinary lotion, into a potent skin lightening lotion which you can use for at least 6 months. Repeat the process as you wish.
Percentage & Usage
Usage percentage is 1 - 3 %
Facts about Kojic Acid Powder
1. Kojic acid has a tendency to oxidize over time. Add Vitamin E oil to reduce oxidation.
2. Skin lightening results are generally observed over time with consistent daily or twice-daily use.
3. Aim to use your DIY skin lightening lotion within a 6 month time period.
4. Kojic Acid Powder is soluble in water.